Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Predictions - September 2010

Some very early press reactions to David Fincher's upcoming The Social Network paint the film in a highly flattering light, suggesting it may be one of the year's best (possibly the one to beat). While such huge advance expectations could ultimately be the film's undoing, it does heighten my own anticipation for its October release, and does compel me to drop Robert Redford's currently distributor-less The Conspirator from the Best Picture Ten to make room for the The Social Network. I've also added David Fincher to my Director list and axed Christopher Nolan. I love Inception, but I can't help but feel it's not really the Academy's style. To that end, I've also dropped it from Original Screenplay in favour of The King's Speech.

Those are really the only changes I've made, but with troubling rumours floating around that Terrence Malick's perpetually unfinished The Tree of Life may still not be ready in time for 2010, I've considered removing it from my predictions all together. Ditto Peter Weir's The Way Back, which only has an unofficial late-December qualifying release (it'll go wide in late January). I'm gonna wait it out though, but there are other hopefuls waiting in the wings to take their place should either falter. Trailers landed over August for Darren Aronofsky's psycho-thriller Black Swan (looks really good), Edward Zwick's Love and Other Drugs (could be an acting showcase for Anne Hathaway and Jake Gyllenhaal), and Danny Boyle's 127 Hours (interesting premise, but is it Oscarish enough?).

The landscape will have changed in a month's time, once the Venice, Toronto, New York, and Telluride film fests have come and gone. Awards season is upon us! How exciting!

No comments: