Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Oscars in January?

There have been rumours flying around...
scary rumours...
rumours that the upper Academy brass is discussing moving the Oscars to January (applicable starting with the 2011/12 season), as reported by Nikki Finke.

Nothing to get too upset about yet. They're only "discussing" the option, after all. But I sure hope this doesn't escalate from rumour into fact.

The rationale behind this seems to stem from the insatiable lust for ratings. By the time the Oscars roll around each February (or March), audience have already been bombarded by televised awards shows like the Globes, SAG Awards, and Critics' Choice Awards. AMPAS figures that an earlier show will make the Oscars feel more relevant to Joe Public, thus improving viewership.

I'll not waste my energy explaining why this is a TERRIBLE idea just now, but if this proposal comes to fruition, you can expect to hear vitriol and bile from my end.

4 comments:

Tom said...

Not me. I'd be glad to see it moved to January. The earlier the better; I hate long waits. :)

The Oscar Nazi said...

I'm not crazy about waiting until March either, but January would be too soon for my liking. Mid-February seems reasonable to me.

It doesn't matter for the time being, as the debate only applies to the 2011/12 season.

Chris said...

Why would January be bad?

The Oscar Nazi said...

Too soon.