Tuesday, February 9, 2010

One Category at a Time: Best Sound Mixing

Why is it that I think Avatar has the best sound mix of the year? Is it because I honestly think that? Or could it be, that on some subconscious level, I just want the Academy and me to agree for once on this category. My opinion and the Academy's is notoriously divergent when it comes to sound design --- mainly because they don't know what good sound design is. I'm confident in saying that if Avatar wins it this year (which it will and should), it will almost certainly not be for the right reasons. Not for its creative synthesis of a fantastical yet believable aural environment. It'll be because it was loud, made a lot of money, and is a Best Picture nominee. Sigh. At least it is the right choice.

Or am I counting my chickens before they hatch? The Hurt Locker had an excellent sound design and is apparently a more well-liked movie, which helped Slumdog Millionaire triumph over the superior mix of WALL-E last year. You could even apply the same argument to Inglourious Basterds, which threatens to take Best Picture because of that damned preferential ballot, and could steal some of Avatar's craft wins in the process. Heck, it already stole the nomination away from District 9. Or mayhaps they'll throw Star Trek a bone other than Best Makeup. I'd certainly be happy to see Anna Belhmer finally win her first statuette (10 noms), and even happier to see Greg P. Russell take the stage at long last (13 noms), that is, if they can get past their justified distaste for Transformers.

...

Nah. Avatar was loud, made a lot of money, and is a Best Picture nominee. Sigh.

Will/should win: Avatar

No comments: