Sunday, January 24, 2010

SAG winners!

Ensemble
Inglourious Basterds

Actor
Jeff Bridges, Crazy Heart

Actress
Sandra Bullock, The Blind Side

Supporting Actor
Christopher Waltz, Inglourious Basterds

Supporting Actress
Mo'Nique, Precious

And the Oscar Nazi goes five for five! I would feel so proud of myself if these winners weren't so easy to predict. True, Best Actress was probably a close race, but the only reason I guessed Sandra Bullock was in the hope that she wouldn't win. I honestly can't see what everybody sees in this performance, but I can see why she's winning. She's coasted through the season on her grace and likability. She is playing the Oscar game very well, and if tonight's eloquent and gracious acceptance speech is any indication, she will likely ride that wave of popularity to the big win in March. Part of me is frustrated to see such a mediocre performance waltzing over infinitely more deserving ones, but a small part of me is a bit happy to see Bullock finally get some recognition for a smart and successful career. Still, Meryl deserves this SOOOOOO much more.

The Ensemble win for Inglourious Basterds helps raise its profile, but it doesn't bring it much closer to upsetting Avatar or The Hurt Locker for a Best Picture win. Tonight's victory does, however, make it apparent that the actors really like the movie, and I think its eventual Oscar win for Original Screenplay is more secure now.

No comments: