Thursday, January 7, 2010

DGA nominations

Kathryn Bigelow, The Hurt Locker
James Cameron, Avatar
Lee Daniels, Precious
Jason Reitman, Up in the Air
Quentin Tarantino, Inglourious Basterds

Talk about "by the book". Just like last year, the DGA has nominated the five supposed frontrunners for Best Picture. If this were a normal Oscar year, I'd be pondering which one of these films would be snubbed for the big nomination, but with 10 slots open, I don't see how any of these can fail to make it in.

I can, however, speculate as to which director will be left off the Best Director slate. Relieved as I am to see that Eastwood was not granted a default nomination from the guild, I still have that discouraging feeling that he'll show up on Oscar's list, so who does he bump off?

Hmm...

As baffling as Inglourious Basterds' awards season success is to me, I've accepted the fact that it is a formidable contender, and one can't deny the originality of Tarantino's work, so I'm inclined to believe he's safe. It's Lee Daniels who I hesitate to call a sure thing. Precious did feel a bit overdirected, and when I think of all those old codgers in the Academy having to choose between a gay black man and Clint Eastwood... you see where I'm going with this. Invictus is a much warmer and easy-to-swallow film for them. I still say Clint is the safer bet.

No comments: