Thursday, June 4, 2009

Predictions - June 2009

Changes of note:

-Bright Star's positive reception at Cannes has prompted me to slate it as a major contender (for now). Thus I have added it to my predix for Picture, Director, Screenplay, Actress, Cinematography, Art Direction, and Costume Design. It has replaced Amelia in most categories.
-Moving off my list completely are Taking Woodstock for its ho-hum welcome at Cannes, and Terminator Salvation for its critical trashing.
-Thanks to an impressive festival run, some think Precious could fill that little-indie-that-could slot. For now, I see no reason to bump An Education out of my top five, but I have added Precious to my Adapted Screenplay shortlist.
-Patty Clarkson is getting good early word for her work in Woody Allen's Whatever Works. A first career nomination perhaps?
-Star Trek openned to strong acclaim and boxoffice results, so I've added it to both Sound categories, VFX, and Makeup.
-My faith in Christopher Rouse gives me the confidence to predict Green Zone for a Film Editing nom.

Where do we go from here? July will see the release of Public Enemies, one of the top contenders I have listed. It's openning will dictate whether I keep it as such.

No comments: