Monday, February 9, 2009

"One (Three) Categories at a Time" - Foreign, Doc, Animated

BEST FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM

Only saw two this year. One was egregiously snubbed (Gomorra), and the other was not even submitted by its country (the remarkable Let the Right One In). So I cannot declare who deserves it, but I think Ari Folman's Waltz With Bashir will win. They could choose The Class if Folman's film proves too unconventional for their limited tastes, but my money is still on Bashir.
Will win: Waltz With Bashir
If I were in charge: Let the Right One In

BEST DOCUMENTARY

While I am yet to (but am eager to) see it, I doubt anyone is brave enough to vote against Man on Wire. It's been winning everything.
Will win: Man on Wire

BEST ANIMATED FEATURE

Is it even worth talking about? Bolt and Kung-Fu Panda were fun enough, but they're up against the single best motion picture of the year.
Will win: WALL-E
Should win: WALL-E

No comments: