Tuesday, February 3, 2009

"One Category at a Time" - Best Visual Effects

Last year's nominees all shared the trait of being bad movies. This year's nominees all share the trait of being good movies, so I can hardly complain.

It's refreshing and satisfying to see The Dark Knight show up here for its appropriate balance between CGI and practical effects. Iron Man is also deserving of it's love in this category (though I may have given my vote to Hellboy II).

But like in makeup, nobody is unseating The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. The effects are so subtle that when I told my friends that this was a lock to win, they stared at me and said "what visual effects?". Can't get much better than that.

Will win: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Should win: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

No comments: