Wednesday, February 11, 2009

"One Category at a Time" - Best Adapted Screenplay

As with a number of other categories, Slumdog Millionaire justly has this in the bag. Simon Beaufoy's flashback-based script is moving and always engaging, proving to be one of the year's finest screenwriting achievements. Peter Morgan's nomination for adapting his own Frost/Nixon to the screen is also well-deserved.

I don't so much mind Eric Roth's very loose adaptation of The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, but I'd like it a lot more if weren't sooooo much the same as Forrest Gump (most of the credit for Button should go to Fincher). I am considerabley more bothered by the inclusion of the relatively uninspired Doubt (basically a stage performance put on film) and the painfully typical The Reader.

Needless to say, The Dark Knight got royally f***ed by the writer's branch. This still pisses me off, but at least the WGA saw fit to acknowledge the Nolans' and Goyer's extraordinary screenplay. The other two films I would have nominated are Let the Right One In and Wendy and Lucy, but I am hardly shocked nor dismayed at their absence from this list.

Again, the only consolation I can take in the relative absurdity of some of these nominations is that the best screenplay is gonna win anyway.

Will win: Slumdog Millionaire
Should win: Slumdog Millionaire

No comments: