Saturday, January 31, 2009

"One (er... Two) Categories at a Time" - Best Sound Mixing and Sound Editing

Believe it or not, I'm still recovering form Kevin O'Connell's baffling 20th loss in this category at last year's ceremony. You'd think I've learned not to trust the Academy to make the right choice, right? Well, I'm taking an awful risk this year by predicting that WALL-E to win both sound awards. Why is this an awful risk? Because WALL-E deserves them both, and since when does the Academy choose the film that deserves to win?

Okay, okay, I'm being cynical as usual, but seriously, I'll go ballistic (and not in a good way) if Ben Burtt and company fail to win both awards, this being Burtt's best work since Star Wars.

Other films that have dual nominations for the sound categories are The Dark Knight, Slumdog Millionaire, and Wanted (one of the year's worst movies). While I respect the sound quailty of Slumdog Millionaire, and even Wanted (albeit to a lesser extent), I wouldn't put either of these on my sound ballots. I would have replaced them with Iron Man and Defiance in sound mixing, and with Bolt and Indiana Jones in sound editing.

But that's a moot point. WALL-E should take these both in a walk... "should" being the operative word.

Will win: WALL-E
Should win: WALL-E

No comments: