Thursday, January 29, 2009

"One Category at a Time" - Best Costume Design

As a follow-up to yesterday's art direction commentary, today I present my thoughts on the year's costume design nominees.

Looking at the list, I can't find anything to complain about. The only glaring omission is Deborah Hopper for her subtly engineered threads for Changeling, but her replacement is a pleasant surprise; Danny Glicker who i thought would be overlooked for his wonderful 70's duds used in Milk. It's very encouraging to finally see the costumers branch embrace this period. The other four nominees all made my personal ballot.

While it is tempting to think Benjamin Button will win for Jaqueline West's changing-period attire, the last two year's have proven that weak films about European royalty stand a better shot, so I'm going with Michael O'Connor's extravagant gowns in The Duchess. Personally, I thought the best threads of the year came courtesy of Catherine Martin in Australia, which were colourful and character-serving and really helped convey that slightly-campy old-Hollywood feel that underlines the movie.

Will win: The Duchess
Should win: Australia

No comments: