Saturday, January 24, 2009

"One Category at a Time" - Best Actor

It's harder to disparage the nominees in this category, but with such a strong list of contenders to choose from, it would have been difficult even for the Academy to screw up this year.

Leading the way are Mickey Rourke and Sean Penn, who both give inspired and soulful performances in The Wrestler and Milk. Joining them is one of the more satisfying nominations on this year's slate, Richard Jenkins for his understated but sincere turn in The Visitor. Personally, I would be thrilled to see any of these fine actors take home the gold.

The other two slots are filled by the capable acting shoes of Frank Langella for his convincing portrayal of Tricky Dick in Frost/Nixon, and Brad Pitt as the titular hero in The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. While I would have substituted Colin Farrell for Brad Pitt, I was greatly relieved to see Pitt's name on the ballot as opposed to Clint Eastwood for his cartoonish crankiness in Gran Torino (we really dodged a bullet here, folks!).

All-in-all, these five are a very good class, and while I would give my vote to Rourke (although Jenkins is a very close second), I feel Sean Penn will take the win.

Will win: Sean Penn, Milk
Should win: Mickey Rourke, The Wrestler

1 comment:

anahita said...

I really really wanted dev patel and leonardo di caprio to be nominated (and one of them to win :D) as it is, I think I'm gonna go with sean penn, although I have yet to see the visitor.