Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Oscar fodder from Cannes

So Blindness (as a whole) is “m’eh”, despite claims that the acting and technical aspects are respectable. But will movie-goers abide by the negative reviews when it goes into wide release, or will they turn a blind eye? I’m thinking this project is toast. Maybe I’ll predict Julianne Moore for Savage Grace with my next update?

Critics have been kinder to Woody Allen’s Vicky Christina Barcelona, and have especially warmed to Penelope Cruz’s feisty performance.

As for Indiana Jones, reaction from the advance screening at Cannes indicate that the film is thoroughly enjoyable and keeps with the old-school style that made the previous three Indy movies so terrific. I think it’s got this year’s top box office spot clinched (and perhaps some tech nominations come Oscar time).

And finally, Clint Eastwood’s Changeling (or is it The Exchange?) is receiving high praise all around. Knowing how the Academy loves Clint, and how Angelina was snubbed this past year for A Mighty Heart, I think we have our first real contender of the year in the major categories.

I’ll unload my Prince Caspian review later this week, and prep myself for Indy’s massive opening on Thursday. TTFN.

No comments: